During the summer months of Hurricane Season in South Florida, most restoration companies are focused on their flooding, mold and water damage services. But at Tri-County All Restoration we know that accidents can happen at anytime, anywhere, and not all of them are the caused by mother nature!
Anyone who has been affected by a fire can tell you that it is just as traumatic an event as any hurricane. If you experience a fire-related emergency, you will need a professional fire restoration company like Tri-County All Restorations to help you recover and restore your home, property and belongings.
The very mention of fire damage can strike terror into the hearts of the average American household, and no wonder; in 2016, FEMA estimated over 364,300 house fires in the United States. The worst part about that staggering statistic is that most cases of household fires can very easily be avoided. Sometimes, preventing a house fire is a simple matter of investing wisely. But most of the time preventing a house fire is just about using common sense.
Loss of life and property are very real risks associated with fire damage, and fire damage restoration can be a real hassle if you have never experienced fire damage before. It is very important that you know not to handle fire cleanup on your own. Fire damage is especially dangerous due to its toxic nature. Whenever materials like glue and solvents used in the construction of homes and buildings burn, they release toxic gases, which can be extremely dangerous.
Call Tri-County All Restorations for help to protect yourself and your loved ones in the aftermath. Our trained professionals can act quickly to stop and prevent further destruction from smoke, fire and water damage.
Safe South Florida Summer: Fire Prevention Tips
Let’s take a closer look some easy ways to prevent fire damage. Here are some easy tips from Tri-County All Restoration of South Florida to prevent fire damage:
1) Be Careful When Cooking with Fires:
During this time of year, get-togethers and barbecues often have a certain amount of drinking involved. Between 2010 and 2014, U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 166,100 home structure fires per year that involved cooking equipment and most of these fires occurred due to simple negligence and the influence of alcohol. The easy way to fix this is to never cook when drinking alcoholic beverages or doing drugs and always remember to turn the stove off and set up your grill outdoors.
2) Clean Your Oven
Grease is flammable. No one ever thinks of oven grease as a fire hazard. Most people think of oven grease as just grease that no one wants to clean up. But oven grease piles up over time and acts as a combustible agent. If you do not clean your oven regularly, then it can cause a sudden, uncontrolled kitchen fire. The easy way to fix this issue is to clean your oven at least once a month.
3) Beware of Candles Causing Fires
Between 2011 and 2015, U.S. fire departments responded to roughly 8,700 house fires per year that were set off by candles. Each year, there are an average of 82 deaths and 800 injuries caused by candles. They also caused $295 million in direct property damage. Candles are open flames and should be handled as such. Here are some of the things that you can do to prevent candle fires:
- Blow out candles before you leave the room or go to bed.
- Avoid using candles in your bedroom if possible. Consider using flameless candles instead. They look and smell the same as regular candles but have minimal damage.
- Use battery-operated sources of light whenever you can – especially when you are drinking. Avoid using candles when drinking. Seriously!
- Keep your candle at least a foot away from any flammable substance.
- Use candle-holders of sturdy build that do not tip over easily.
- Put out your candle before it burns all the way to the container. If nothing else, that may cause smoke damage in your home.
- Be extra careful when lighting your candle – you could accidentally set your hair or clothing, nearby curtains and drapes on fire as well.
- Keep candles and matchsticks far away from children.
4) Fix Your Electrical Wiring
A fire does not necessarily need a flame to start. A hot surface in contact with something flammable will do the trick just fine. From 2011-2015, Electrical distribution or lighting equipment was involved in the ignition of 34,000-reported home structure fires per year. These electrical fires involved equipment such as wiring, lighting, cords, and plugs. Faulty electrical and lighting equipment was the number one cause for direct property damage. It also ranks third among the major causes for home fires.
Here are some basic rules for indoor electrical safety:
- Leave all your wiring work to a professional electrician.
- When revamping your house or buying a new one, make sure to comply with all local guidelines for electrical wiring.
- Use only one major heat-producing appliance per electrical outlet at a time.
- Check your wattage before using appliances. When in doubt, consult an electrician immediately.
- Bet you didn’t know this, but power extension cords are meant for temporary use only. Do not use extension cords to power refrigerators, heaters, dryers, dishwashers, stoves, or ovens. If necessary, get more wall outlets installed by your electrician whenever needed.
- Make sure that the circuits have proper grounding. Check for GFCI (Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupter) compliance.
- Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupters (AFCI) break the circuits whenever there is a major electrical fault and shuts down the flow of electricity immediately. So make sure to install AFCIs in your home.
Fired Damage Prevention & Restoration With Tri-County All Restoration
There are plenty more fire safety tip and Tri-County would be more than happy to help you be prepared! In the hot days of summer in South Florida the reality of fire and smoke damage and the high impact of fire loss is very real. Major loss due to fire or smoke damage is devastating. At Tri-County we know from over 23 years of experience and expertise that most property owners are at a loss during the initial shock and aftermath and that’s where we our team comes in! First, we will familiarize you with the restoration process and help you acclimate and adjust as we restore your property, your home, your office or other spaces back to even better than they were before!
At Tri-County, we’re here to make you whole again. We take great pride in our ability to consistently deliver excellent customer service to our valued customers. We hold our amazing team in high esteem, as they consistently act as professionals who put you and your needs first, because they understand so well what it’s like to suffer fire damage to your property. Our team is ready 24 hours a day to help and to satisfy your restoration needs.